Program Officer - IYCF Implementation Learning Professional3 months ago - Job Offers - Lagos - 190 views
FHI 360 is a global development organization with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to human development. Our professional staff includes experts in health, nutrition,education, economic development, civil society, environment and research. FHI360 operates from 60 offices with 4,400 staff in the U.S. and around the world.Our commitment to partnerships at every level and our multidisciplinary approach enable us to have a lasting impact on the individuals, communities and countries we serve improving lives for millions.
• Alive & Thrive is an initiative to save lives, prevent illness, and ensure healthy growth and development through improved breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices.In its first five years (2009 to 2014), A&T demonstrated that innovative approaches to improving feeding practices could be delivered with impact and at scale in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, and Viet Nam.
• Alive & Thrive continues its work there and is supporting others to scale up nutrition by applying and adapting tested, proven approaches and tools in Burkina Faso,India, Southeast Asia, and Nigeria
• Alive & Thrive is funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the governments of Canada and Ireland.
• The Nigeria A&T IYCF social and behavior change program focuses on improving rates of early initiation of breastfeeding, exclusive breastfeeding, timely introduction of complementary feeding, and minimum dietary diversity for infants over 6 months old
• A&T will work across the public, commercial/private, and NGO sectors to improve IYCF through A&T’s four components: advocacy, interpersonal communication and community mobilization, mass communication, and strategic use of data
Essential Job Functions
• With supervision from the State Team Lead, provide technical oversight to Implementation Partner staff conducting the implementation research study and other project activities
• Coordinate and provide technical assistance to Research Assistants and assigned support staff as needed
• Provide TA to IYCF A&T sub-grantee in Lagos state to improve the quality of Implementation Research to track the inputs, processes, outputs, and outcomes of the supervisor - health care worker, community volunteer connection to the community and households. This may include TA to develop work plans, including suggesting indicators and proposing data collection strategies, activities,analysis and reporting formats.
• Provide input on the design and implementation of qualitative studies and quantitative surveys for IYCF, including sampling strategies, survey instruments, survey implementation, data analysis, report writing, and dissemination of results.
• Actively participate in designing and conducting short, focused evaluation exercises,operational research at designated sites, with topics determined in cooperation with public, private/commercial, and NGO sectors at national and/or state level; and A&T country office to shed light on operational issues concerning implementation research and overall project activities in Lagos state.
• Share data and lessons learned from these exercises with local, national, and regional partners to continue to build the knowledge base of IYCF.
• Keep abreast of international developments concerning Implementation Research strategies for IYCF programs and share state-of-the-art information, and approaches with A&T Nigeria and partners.
• Participate in various state working groups and task forces related to Implementation Research for IYCF and overall project activities.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications
• Bachelor's Degree in Public Health, Nutrition, Demography, Statistics, or related field, with emphasis on quantitative analysis. Master’s preferred.
• At least 5 years of IYCF Program and M&E experience in Nigeria (similar global experience may be acceptable) required with at least 1 year in a role providing technical input to a large-scale nutrition or public health/development project.
• Public health/nutrition field experience in designing, implementing, monitoring and reporting on various types of service delivery platforms (i.e. interpersonal communication, community mobilization and mass communication).
• Experience in analysis and interpretation of quantitative data, including experience drafting reports based on quantitative data
• Experience working with routine health facility and community reporting tools and the District Health Information system
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of health and development programming in a developing country.
• Working knowledge of major donor policies (USAID, Global Fund) as well as international not-for-profit organizations.
• Proven ability to coordinate a multi-sectoral development project.
• Ability to organize systems to monitor administrative and implementation results.
• Basic budget tracking or financial management skills.
• Previous experience with website content development, success story writing, or social media a plus.
• Training and presentation skills would be an added advantage.
• Ability to work independently with initiative to manage high volume work flow.
• Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy.
• Excellent written,oral and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work as a team member.
• Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
• Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, Internet and other relevant software.
• Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
• Competency in survey design and implementation and experience in data analysis using Stata,SAS, EpiInfo, or SPSS strongly preferred.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; fluency in Yoruba strongly preferred.
Application Closing Date 28 December, 2018.